Saturday, July 19, 2008

"Dolphins quarterback Josh McCown has decided to quit using chain saws, which should please his team."


If you haven't heard the news, Miami QB Josh McCown cut his finger with a f***ing CHAINSAW last week while enjoying outdoor activities with his brother, fellow gridiron LEGEND and Tampa Bay QB Luke McCown (read more).

I don't quite understand how one manages to come away from a chainsaw accident with only a "cut." I have little experience operating such machinery, but this sounds like quite the accomplishment.

McCown's injury got me thinking about other genius sports injuries that have occurred in the past. Images of Bill Gramatica tearing his ACL during a field goal celebration and Joel Zumaya straining his arm from playing "Symphony of Destruction" on expert in Guitar Hero immediately came to mind, but YES there are more amazing tales.

I did some "research" and found this fantastic article that chronicles some of the best sports injuries of our time: The dumbest injuries in sports.

Some noteworthies from the article: Marty Cordova, Moises Alou (article says "after running over his son" and doesn't say with what, but I read on another site that it was with a bicycle, YES MOISES), John Smoltz, and Wade Boggs.

Reading such stories is always refreshing and makes me happy to know that despite their amazing on-the-field accomplishments, athletes are in reality just dumb-asses like myself (Note: I once ran face first into a brick wall on a fly route, leaving me with a bloody face and a fractured wrist. First thing everyone asked me was whether I held onto the football or not. Sadly, the play was recorded as just another dropped pass on my stat line).

Oh and if you were concerned for Joshua, don't worry. His cut healed just fine and he's ready for training camp.

3 comments:

hirosh27 said...

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9F0CE7DB113FF932A35756C0A965958260

check it

Sam said...

More proof that if your name isn't Brian Urlacher you probably shouldn't be banging your head into cement.

Anonymous said...

thanks for the link back